tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 21 17:41:57 1996

Re: KBLC: Dick and Jane

~Doq writes:
>ghunchu'wI', you did say "maybe":

I fully expected someone to try it. :-)

>*Dick* Dalegh
>*Jane* Dalegh

I think the line in the "Dick and Jane" books is "See Dick.  See Jane."
They're commands, not statements.  You have said simply "You see Dick.
You see Jane."  That's not at all the same thing.  The imperative verb
prefix {yI-} must be used here.  See TKD section 4.1.2.

>qet *Dick* Dalegh
>qet *Jane* Dalegh

Again, these should be commands.  But they're also "sentence-as-object"
constructions.  "Dick runs; see that!"  {qet *Dick* 'e' yIlegh}.  See
TKD section 6.2.5.

>yIqet *Dick* yIqet
>yIqet *Jane* yIqet

maj.

>mu'mey nejtaH ~Doq Dalegh

Just like "See Jane run", this needs an imperative prefix and {'e'}.
{mu'mey nejtaH ~Doq 'e' yIlegh}.

>I wasn't sure about the "Run, X, run" part, but didn't the ceremony in TNG's
>"Firstborn" use a construction like this for a similar purpose (granted,
>that was song and not prose)?

Actually, that's the part you got right.

>Biting my nails, waiting to find out what I did wrong (no--I'm Klingon. I'll
>go bite someone *else's* nails!)

It's much easier to explain the proper way to say these sentences than it
is to correct mistranslated Shakespeare, that's for sure. :-)