tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Feb 21 06:12:04 1996

Re: jIjang (Re: KLBC: HIboQqa' (cha'))

ghItlh ghunchu'wI' Soqra'tIS je:

                <...vIteqlu'pu'...> <--- <...SnIp...>

>>         ghItlh TKD 5.4 p56 {vaj Daleghpu'}
>
>Some context here might help your confusion.  Valkris has just finished
>transmitting the Genesis data to Kruge, and  she says "You will find it
>useful."  Kruge's response is, "Then you have seen it."  "Then" doesn't
>mean "afterwards, later" here.  It refers to a conclusion he made based
>on the previous sentence, and could also be translated "so" or "thus".

I take TKDs entry "vaj - so, then, thus, in that case (adv)" and similar
definitions to mean EITHER of the meanings, based on context. Like the
German word "Aufnahme" which can mean (in context of) "reception;
(Zulassung) admission; acceptance; (Beherbergung) accommodation;
(Eintragung) entry; inclusion; (Kapital) raising; borrowing; (einer
Ta:tikeit) assumption; (Photo) snapshot; (Ton, Bild) recording."

So, to me, when I see an entry like: "vaj - so, then, thus, in that case
(adv)", it tells me that {vaj} can be either of those words based on
context of the text. Of course, I could be wrong in my assumption...

                        choQIj

>>           qatlh 'e' DuQuchHa'moHlaw''a'
>
>If you use {qatlh}, you shouldn't also use {-'a'} unless you have a very
>specific meaning in mind.  I've seen examples of their use together that
>make some sort of sense, but this isn't one of them.

Why not  ?
***     ***

                  <...vIteqlu'pu'...>
                        (SnIp)

>>                    HIja' HISlaH
>>                 'e' qay'qu' vIghaj
>
>nuqjatlh?  "Yes, yes.  Is really a problem that.  I have it."  Huh?
>Pick a "yes" and stay with it.  Again, what's {'e'} doing here?  {qay}
>doesn't work with an object; if you're trying to use {'e'} as its subject,
>you can't.  What's the object of {vIghaj}?  I can't find it.  Maybe, just
>maybe, you're trying to say "I have a real problem with that."  If so, it
>would be something like {jIHvaD qay'qu' qechvam}.

HIja'= yes, true {or YOU TELL ME!}
HISlaH = yes, true
HIja' HISlaH = yes true, rather than "yes, yes"

{jIHvaD qay'qu' qechvam} is what I was trying for. Thanks.

{'e'} is a BIG problem with me. I just can't seem to get it and KEEP it
streight in my head ( right charghwI' ?? }};-)  ).

>>                <...vIteqlu'pu'...>
>
>nuqjatlh?  "I have been taken off."  Sorry, I don't understand this at all.

I'm using it for <...SnIp...>, "I have been removed"

>>>The whole phrase seems almost hopelessly metaphorical anyway.  I don't
>>>think trying to translate Bible quotes is a productive way to learn the
>>>Klingon language.
>>
>>Believe it or not, somehow it does make more sense to me AND it seems to be
>>easier for me to understand.
>
>I didn't say it was a bad way to learn the Bible; in fact, translating
>something is usually a very good way to understand the source material.
>But it's hard to translate something well if you're not fluent in the
>target language, and if you don't yet know what you don't know, you'll
>be making lots of small errors that could more easily be corrected if
>you were trying to speak your own words.

Not to learn the Bible, but to learn Hol.

qatlho'neS
      vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay' - DumaS
vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Soqra'tIS           [email protected]

Back to archive top level