tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Feb 09 16:09:04 1996

Re: KLBC Preguntas

Hovjaj 96106.6 ghItlh charghwI':

>The fact is, Okrand has not told us how to express fractions,
>beyond {bID}, except as percent. One tenth would be
>{wa'maHvatlhvI'}. Five and three tenths would be {vagh
>wejvatlhvI'}.

vagh wejmaHvatlhvI' Dajatlh 'e' DaHech, qar'a'?

Of course, I think the only time a percent has actually been used is in Star
Trek V.  The problem is, I don't know if he says {cha'maH vaghvatlhvI'} or
{cha'maH vagh vatlhvI'}.  "vatlh = hundred (num)" and "vatlhvI' = percent
(n),"  says the dictionary.  Do they work the same way?  How confusing!

Actually, percents can go a long way.  It won't let you write scientific
papers in Klingon, but for most conversations it should do nicely.  Has
someone been trying to express an unusual fraction?  Something like a third
may be weird, but isn't {wejmaH wejvatlhvI'} sufficient?  (I know, I know, a
Klingon is "never approximate.")

SuStel
Hovjaj 96109.4

Back to archive top level