tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 27 14:23:25 1996

Re: To many identical words. Please comment

ja' Kalos/qeyloS:
>I don't recall the name for it (it doesn't matter anyways). But it seems to
>me that there are too many words spelled (sounds) just alike.

eye dew knot reek awl thin aim four [it] ([it] dozen mat her eh knee weighs).
butt [it] seams two mi [that] their our to men E...

Two words with different meanings but with the same pronunciation and
sometimes the same spelling are called "homonyms".  Two words with the
same pronunciation but different origins and meanings and usually different
spellings are called "homophones".

It's a part of language.  It makes things interesting.  It permits an entire
category of jokes.  Deal with it.  Accept it.  Relish it!

>When there are multiple nouns or verbs it can be difficult to
>impossible unless you have context and before you say that's how you solve
>it you don't always have context. Yes context can be used for some but again
>my point is to the shear number of the duplicates.

Heh.  "Shear" means cut, usually with shears. :-)  You wanted to say "sheer"
meaning "without qualification or exception" -- at least that's what I get
from the context.  If you want to be unconditionally understood when using
one of the words with multiple meanings, you must provide context.

>Your at a negotion trying to decide whether on not to make an exchange. your
>commander says "yItamchoH" either be quiet or make the exchange (I probally
>used the wrong example).

This *is* a poor example.  {yIjatlhQo'} "Don't speak" would work fine, and
I think {DItamchoH} "Start to exchange them" would make more sense for the
second meaning.

>As far as being a phonetic language and not knowing the actual spelling...
>bull hockey. This is a completly invented language and until we have the
>spelling this is what we will use. Even if the spelling comes our different
>so what, you missed my point.

I don't really know why you brought up spelling in the first place.  The
issue is words that *sound* alike, right?

>Yes most if not all languages have words like this. But it seems to me for a
>language that was created from scratch there are way too many (no I didn't
>calc the percentage, is 3% high?).

No, 3% is not high.  It is *low*.
know [three] purr scent [is] knot hie.  [it] [is] low (cow sound).

>Maybe I'm wrong are in comparison there isn't too many. If there are then I
>see two posible solutions. Both rely on Okrand. First get rid of the
>duplicates by coming out with new ones to replace them I like this idea, it
>requires a little more work on Dr. (Dr. or Mr.) Okrand but I like
>simplicity. Second don't make any more, check before a new word is released
>(pubished) for a duplicate.

Do you sincerely believe that this is a problem which requires a solution?
I hope you can be convinced otherwise.

Although I am annoyed at the difficulties presented by {wej}...

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level