tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 27 00:34:56 1996

Re: Klingon CD-Rom

<< However, I wouldn't expect to hear many Klingons running around and saying

 {qatlho'} very often.  It's not a very Klingon thing to say.

 --
 SuStel
 Beginners' Grammarian

I challenge a point here.  I have been studying language and linguistics for
35 years and still make many erroneous judgments regarding a language new to
me.  OTOH, my professors stressed that if a language has a word within it,
not having obviously borrowed the word from another language, the culture has
need for the word.  Remember how important snow is in the Eskimo's culture.
 There are numerous words for snow.  In Klingon we have numerous words for
weapons because weapons are important.  The Klingon language has a word for
"thank" while not having words for "please" and "you're welcome" because
Klingons do show respect and gratitude.  We do not beat around the bush with
"please"; we command.  But, we do honor another with an expression of
gratitude.

batlh Hoch DIvan 'ej SuvwI'pu' quv DItlho'
chaH DIHutlhchugh DaHjaj tlhIngan wo' taHbe'ba'

peHruS

Back to archive top level