tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 24 07:22:40 1996

Re: houses (was RE: KLBC)

At 09:16 PM 12/23/96 -0600, you wrote:
jatlh SuStel:
|December 23, 1996 9:09 AM, jatlh loDDoq:
|>  juH maqach(Daq?)
|>  we're building a house
|
|juH wIchenmoH.
|We are building a home.
|
|Note, this is not the same thing as "house."  There is no known word for
|"house" in the sense of "building for living in" (maybe {yInmeH qach}).

I think juH or qach will do, depending on what point you're making. Let's go
to the canon:

  SuvwI' juHmey rur tachmey
     Bars resemble warriors' homes. CK
  juHwIjDaq Dochvetlh vItlhap
     I will take that to my home. PK
  naDev juHlIjDaq cha'logh jISopneSchugh vaj jIquv
     It would be an honor to eat twice here at your house, your Honor. PK
                                                    ^^^^^
Note that in the above examples, substituting "house" for "home" (or vice
versa) doesn't substantially change the meaning. This distinction may just
be an artifact of English; in Russian "dom" does double duty for both, ditto
for Hebrew "bayit". Now, as to what type of structure Klingons imagine when
they hear the word "juH", that's another question. Are apartments (of
whatever size), townhouses and condominiums juhmey, pa'mey or something else
entirely?

Often, qach will do when "house" is used figuratively in English:

  meQtaHbogh qachDaq Suv qoH neH
     Only a fool fights in a burning house. TKW
                                     ^^^^^
The above vIttlhegh clearly refers to any burning structure, not just the
place where you and your family live. It's *not* saying that it is
acceptable to fight in a burning store or factory!

Voragh

Back to archive top level