tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 22 12:04:21 1996

mu'tlheghmeywIj chorghDIch vImugh

"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it."
veS qabqu'be'chugh 'oH wIparHa'qu'choH

"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You
cannot do more. You should never wish to do less."
HolmajDaq mu' nIvqu' 'oH Qu'. reH Qu'lIj yIbuS. nIvlaHbe' vangchoHghachlIj.
not puS vangshoHghachlIj yIneH.

"The hardest knife ill-used doth lose his edge."
jejHa'choH lo'Ha'lu' taj letqu'.

Here's my first attempt at poetry translation. I realize the {-ghach} is ill
used, but it _is_ poetry.
"Surgeons must be very careful          yepqu'neS Qelpu'
when they take the knife!               taj lulo'DI'!
Underneath their fine incisions         pe'ghachchajHom bIng
Stirs the culprit - Life!"              yIn taH 'oH qabwI'!

I appear to be suffering a relapse of the urge to nominalize everything. The
problem is, there are so few adverbs in Klingon, you almost _must_ use nouns
to get around it. Does anyone have suggestions? My worst problems are with
things like "best" and "worst."

-HurghwI'

Back to archive top level