tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 22 07:14:37 1996

mu'tlheghmeywIj SochDIch vImugh

"He who laughs last laughs best."
nIv HaghwI' Qav
This was hard because of the lack of adverbs for both best and last. It
looses most of the meaning.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."
nagh wa'DIch "throw"jaj yembe'bogh vay'
How does one say "throw" in two words or less? Would ghoS/"thrust" work? Is
woD way too off?

"When I die, I hope people say about me, 'He sure owed me lots of money.'"
jIHeghDI',  jIH vIbuSlu'DI' <<Huch law' munobbej>> jatlhlu', 'e' vItul
Is there a simpler way to say "say about me?" I thought about using jIHvaD,
but that implies "to me."

"You can lead a [targ] to water, but you can't make it drink."
targhvaD bIQ Da'ang, 'ach targh DatlhutlhmoHlaHbe'.
I used targ twice because, water being the subject of the previous sentence,
it would have implied you can't make water drink.

"All's well that ends well."
QaQchugh vay' rInta'ghach, QaQ 'oH.

-HurghwI'

Back to archive top level