tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 17 18:20:00 1996

Re: HIja'/HISlaH (was Re: KLBC)

ja' Voragh:
>If memory serves, there was discussion on the list that this was yet another
>backfit of English. I.e. the actress said her line in English and Okrand
>devised the Klingon to match the movements of her mouth, then the actress
>dubbed over the old line with the new Klingon version. But once Okrand did
>this, HISlaH (and jaw) became a "real" Klingon word and it was therefore
>included in TKD.

I'm certain that the lines were filmed in English, and the Klingon words
were devised to fit the mouth motion -- something Okrand is pretty darn
good at, in my opinion.  I think the words were really *supposed* to be
{HIja' joHwI'} but were badly mispronounced as {HISlaH jawwI'} when she
redubbed them, resulting in a pair of words with two different "official"
spellings.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level