tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 17 18:14:08 1996

RE: KLBC. First attempt

December 17, 1996 6:27 AM, jatlh HurghwI':

> >> chaq tlhIngan Hol vIyaj 'e' vIHarpu' law' vIyaj puS (Perhaps I do not
> >> understand Klingon as well as I had believed).
> >
> >Ack!  Try to be strict with the law'/puS construction.  The verb needs to
be a
> >stative verb.  (You have also put a Type 7 suffix on the second verb of an
> >{'e'} sentence, which is not allowed.)
>
> On a similar note, can you say this?:
> chaq jIH yajlaw' law' jIH yaj.
> "Perhaps my apparent understanding is better than my true understanding."
> or, perhaps I don't understand as well as it had appeared. I realize this
> might not be the best way to say this; this is just a linguistic exercise.

When chosing the verb of law'/puS sentence, you must choose a stative verb.
As Okrand says on TKD p. 70, "Any verb expressing a quality or condition may
fit into the Q slot."

{yaj} is not a stative verb.  Also, you cannot add suffixes to the verb (as
far as we know).  Finally, the verb must appear twice, identically.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level