tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Dec 17 10:02:43 1996

Re: HIja'/HISlaH (was Re: KLBC)

>HIja' is fairly crisp. HISlaH takes longer to say, and because it is used
>more rarely (in canon as well as among us, Voragh?) it gets more attention.

Right. It's used only once, in ST3:
   Kruge:   vaj Daleghpu' (Then you have seen it.)
   Valkris: HISlaH jawwI' (I have, my lord.)

My own take is also that HISlaH is somewhat more formal and dramatic--a more
encompassing acknowledgement than a simple HIja' ("yes"). More like
"Indeed", "I have" or "Right!" Remember, it was with this word that Valkris
sealed her fate. When she admitted seeing the Genesis tape, she knew that
she and everyone else on the Merchantman were going to die. Kruge didn't ask
why and Valkris made no excuses. I would stand tall and speak more formally
too under the circumstances (for the benefit both of her audience and also,
no doubt, for the record).

If memory serves, there was discussion on the list that this was yet another
backfit of English. I.e. the actress said her line in English and Okrand
devised the Klingon to match the movements of her mouth, then the actress
dubbed over the old line with the new Klingon version. But once Okrand did
this, HISlaH (and jaw) became a "real" Klingon word and it was therefore
included in TKD.

>I tend to use HIja' in answering quickly and the HISlaH when I relish the
>answer:
>
>I believe I picked this up from HoD Qanqor, who really lets out a hearty
>"HIISlaaHHH" when he means it.
>---
>Qov

De gustibus non disputandum est.