tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 16 19:57:42 1996

RE: KLBC: yIn Kirk !!!

December 16, 1996 7:15 AM, jatlh Mago:

> mIchvamDaq *Star Trek Fan - related* Qumghach {I mean "communication" by
nominalizing Qum, is it right?} vIngeH 'e' lugh 'e' vISovbe'

> I repeat tha above for better understanding:
>
> mIchvamDaq *ST fan-related* Qumghach vIngeH 'e' lugh 'e' vISovbe'
>
> (I mean "I don't know if it's right to send Star Trek Fan - related mails to
this section"... BTW, if it isn't please let me know and I'll send no more!
Thanks.)

See my previous post on using {-ghach} without an intervening suffix.
Actually, I'll bet this is in the FAQ . . . Hmmm . . . I don't see it . . .

The mailing list is not a "sector," so do not use the word {mIch}.  The
typical word we use is {jabbI'IDghom} "transmission-group."

If you're having trouble with something complex like "I don't know if it's
right to, . . ." you probably need to break this into multiple sentences.
There's no reason you need to turn one English sentence into exactly one
Klingon sentence!

jabbI'IDghomvamvaD "Star Trek" buSbogh jabbI'IDmey'e' vIlablaH'a'?
Can I send Star Trek-related mail to this mailing list?
(Literally, "Can I transmit data transmissions which focus on Star Trek to
this data transmission-group?")

My answer:

HIja'.  'ach tlhIngan Hol DajatlhnISqu'!
Yes, but you absolutely must talk about it in Klingon!

> (another question... to say "I don't know if it's right" should I say
>
> lugh 'e' vISovbe'

This is a statement in English, but it's a pretty wishy-washy thing to say.
If a Klingon doesn't know something and wants to, he asks:

qar'a'?
Right?

> yIntaH Kirk jalth jupwI' (a friend of mine says that Kirk is still alive)

Dajqu' ghu'.  "Nexus"-Daq yIntaH "Kirk", 'ach "Veridian" wejDaq Heghbej
"Kirk".

> nexusDaq Haw'pu' Kirk 'e' teHlu' (It is true that Kirk fleed from the nexus)

What's the "it" in this sentence?  There really isn't one.  You're trying to
use the first sentence as the subject of the second, and you cannot do this.
Besides, this is another wishy-washy thing to say.  Just say

"Nexus"-vo' Haw'pu' "Kirk"?
Had Kirk fled the Nexus?

Notice that I used {-vo'} instead of {-Daq}.  The action of fleeing is going
away from the noun, Nexus.

> 'ach nexusDaq quq Hoch 'ej hechbe' poH (but inside the nexus everything
happens
>simultaneously and time has no meaning)

{Hech} doesn't mean "mean" as I've just used it or as you have.  It means
"intend to."  The object should the action which you intend to do.  If you
cannot translate back to English with the words "intend to," you have probably
used this word incorrectly.

You might say {Daq 'oH poH'e'} or {lI'be' poH}.

> nexusDaq je EnterpriseDaq yin Whoopi (Whoopi exists in the nexus and in the
Enterprise) (I'd like to say "at the same time", but there seems to be no
adverbial for this... could you suggest me a way to say it?)

Put the {je} *after* the nouns it joins!  {"Nexus"-Daq 'entepray'Daq je}.

There is no direct way to say this.  You must recast your sentence.

"Nexus"-Daq ghaHtaHvIS "Guinan"-'e', 'entepray'Daq ghaHtaH je.
While Guinan is in the Nexus, she is also aboard the Enterprise.

> 'ach reH yintaH Kirk! (so Kirk will live forever!) (I guess this is a bit
tricky to me... Have > I done well?)

Well, you have to remember to capitalize all of your {I}s, and "so" is {vaj},
but otherwise this is fine!

chaq DaH yIntaH "Kirk", 'ach Heghbejpu' je.  HeghDaj legh pIqarD HoD.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level