tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 16 11:23:03 1996

In defense of our common ground

Dear fellow Klingon speakers (and begining learners like myself)

Like many of you, we have been asked the usual questions "why do we like
this?"  "Why do we do this?" And of course we will tell them the glory of
the language of a race of warriors, albeit entirely spawned from the
imagination. It's a pleasure to see that so many others enjoy learning
Klingon, enough so that there is a MUSH, a host of webpages devoted to the
subject, and a variety of software and books available on Klingon. One day,
when reading a review in PCComputing, I noticed that some Star Trek software
was being reviewed and so I read it. I was quite dismayed to find that
CD-Ron's review of Star Trek Klingon (by Simon and Schuaster) was based
entirely on it's content, rather than its graphics, usability, ect. It
reads: (from PC Computing November issue)

        I don't care if you wore Spock ears at your wedding, this is too
        much. Star Trek Klingon includes a separate disc so you can learn
        to speak the Klingon language. We're talking words lists, drills,
        quizzes--all the things you groaned about in school. Does this
        really mean that somewhere there are a couple of serious dorks
        who sit around talking to each other in Klingon? I guess so.

        Chances are good they're not playing the game that came on the
        other CDS in this set. In the game you must learn how to be a
        proper Klingon. The story is told completely in full-screen video
        that depicts your Klingon buddies as a bunch of partying frat-rats
        who all seem to be played by John Belushi. About once every five
        minutes, you have to make a decision. But you don't actually
        change the story line. Real boring, real fast.

        Get this only if you are determined to learn a ficticious
        language that will immediately identify you as a person who never
        got a date in high school.

Whoa, hold up there Ron....It's okay if you want to review software on the
basis of its usability, compatability with your computer, graphics,
whatever. It is however NOT okay for you to review it on the basis of
subject matter.
"Does this mean that somewhere there are a couple of serious dorks somewhere
who talk to each other in Klingon"

Yes! About 5,000 worldwide, and growing.  Perhaps you should do a little
research before publishing a review that makes it so OBVIOUS you did
not....ever visit the web, Ron? Well, there's one, one of many mind you,
fanatastic site that is devoted to learning and expanding of this
fascinating (and rather difficult) artificial language, called the Klingon
Language Institute; they even have a MUSH where Klingon speakers can get
together and discuss things in Klingon or talk about Klingon. And many
respectable people are mushing next to the geeks you seem to have such
contempt for; doctors, lawyers and the like.

Does this mean that PC Computing has a serious dork for a softward critic?
Guess so.

Then in this month's issue I received a response in the January Issue on pg. 46:

        Don't think I'm not onto your game, Ms. Aiken-or should I say
        Ms. Alien? First, some of you innocently translate Hamlet and
        Genesis into Klingon, and then-the United States Constitution!
        For all we know, the translation might say that Klingon is the
        official language of the United States.
        Sane people don't speak Klingon!

Personally, I find this kind of verbal abuse via a magazine intentionally
belittling-esp. when given by someone who obviously has such contempt for
those of us who choose to excercise a little imagination. The reason I am
posting this it that I believe those of us who would like to respond to
CD-Ron's comments should do so...and let him know just how MANY of us
'Klingon speaking dorks' there are!

Here's the address:

email:
[email protected]

or
snailmail:
PC Computing
50 Beale St. 13th Floor
San Fransisco, CA
94105

Sorry for this not being a discussion in thlIngan Hol, but I thought it
equally important.
Tara Aiken
aka De'chaq
[email protected]