tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 15 09:37:13 1996

Re: baH! (was RE: Old Translations)

I think it is helpful to give page numbers when possible to help
others confirm for their own records the citations:

On Sat, 14 Dec 1996 19:03:16 -0800 Voragh
<[email protected]> wrote:
> In fact, baH "fire (torpedo, rocket, missile)" actually implies an object
> (usually torpedoes) when not explicitly stated:
> 	baHchu'  (TKD)
> 	 He fired (the torpedo) perfectly.
page 40

> 	yIbaH  (TKD)
> 	 Fire (the torpedoes)!
page 72

> 	qara'DI' cha yIbaH = cha yIbaH qara'DI'  (TKD)
> 	 Fire the torpedoes at my command.
page 62. Note that the only object we are shown so far is
"torpedoes" whether explicitly stated or not.

> 	Qo'noS wa'Daq baHta' ...  (ST6)
> 	 "[Enterprise] fired on Kronos One ..."

There is no good specific notation for this, since there is no
randomly accessible index to leap to that moment in the film.

> Another word you can use is bach (which also takes an object), when you
> don't want to imply firing some sort of propelled rocket:
> 	pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach  (TKW)
> 	 Curse well! (lit. "Shoot curses forcefully.")
page 148.

> Hmmm... I wonder how one says "Fire phasers/disruptors!" Since they're
> energy weapons, are they activated (chu'), energized (laQ), shot (bach) or
> fired (baH)?

Good question. I'm working on my ability to more quickly address
things like this.

I've come to realize that putting too many citations in my Pilot
word list makes for too many false hits when I search for an
English word, so I'm paring down that list to include only
definitions and unquoted citations, and I've reapplied myself to
the task of building an Access database to include all the
citations, quotes and notes about useage for each word.

Of course, this is an insane project, but that never stopped me
before. I have decided to (for now) stop updating the Word
document people at qep'a' cha'DIch came to know so well, so now
I just update the Pilot, the online word list (I just put up an
update to the FTP site today, awaiting ~mark to transfer it) and
the Access database. Each is tuned to a function.

I need to sweep through these three to coordinate them (I'm
only up to {ch-} so far), then start sweeping through canon
again to enter EVERY citation instead of just the first instance
of a particular trait for verbs and significant episodes of
nouns (like HochHom) and certain suffixes (like if a {-mo'}
verb ever follows a main verb -- something I don't want to find).

A lexicographer's work is never done. If anyone would like to
offer any assistance in citing canon, I'm open. I really
appreciate what voragh has already done for ST5 and intend to
fold that into the database as soon as I can, especially since I
have not yet managed to rent the movie again...

> Voragh

charghwI'

Back to archive top level