tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 14 23:07:32 1996

RE: holy man

> > 	<lalDan loD ghagwI'>
> > 	man who has religion
>
> I don't "have" a religion, I "obey" one or "believe in" one.  Maybe I even
> "follow (the rules)" one.  (Well, for me this is moot; I do not practice any
> religion.)  Also, who says that only men may be the priests in the Klingon
> Empire?

	The only reason I used <loD> was because I had someone in mind
when I was thinking about this - a friend of mine is a reverend in
training, and dabbles in Klingon.  No argument about women Klingon
priestesses.

> lalDan ghot
> religion's person
>
> Maybe that does it, and maybe not.  I say: open the doors on this one.  What
> ideas do others have?

	No, that still implies to me just "one of the flock", so to speak.

> > 	<lalDan lod qeqwI'>
> > 	man who practices religion
>
> Worse than that: {qeq} means "practice, train, prepare," not "worship." Do
> not use it in this sentence.  How about {lalDan pabwI'}.

	Again, sounds like one of the flock.  And I used <qeq> on purpose,
to get the idea across that this is someone who knows his/her religion,
and DOES practice, train, and prepare in it.  How about:

	<lalDan yInwI'>
	one who lives religion

Still vague, but it gets the idea across that they aren't just passing
through and putting in their hour on Sunday-type-thing.

 / _ \                                   \         ** Andrew Netherton **
 \__)|        "VENI, VIDI VINNIE"         \ __     jo'Sqa, tlhIngan SuvwI'
     \      I came, I saw my cousin.      |(_ \   Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Back to archive top level