tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 14 20:00:28 1996

Re: Stardates...

jatlh jej:

>> Why not start of with the turn of the century as the starting point and use
>>a meteric system of some sort.  For example, one day has ten hours, and each
>>hour has ten minutes, and so forth.  Wouldn't this give us a true nanosecond?
>
>Eh? This is exactly the same system, only now hours last longer (as if they
>didn't last long enough already :). It's still based on rotation of the earth,
>because you still use days and years.

Actually, time now _is_ defined elsewhere than the rotation of the earth. A
second is the duration of 9,192,631,770 periods of radiation of cesium 133.
So it actually has nothing to do with Terran conventions. And, the stardate
is metric, in that it measures the percentage of the century passed.

>And what is a true nanosecond? You lost me here.

Same here. A nanosecond is just a term humans made up, so a true nanosecond
is whatever we decide it is.

>jej

-HurghwI'
Hovjaj 96956.0