tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 14 15:51:26 1996

RE: KLBC: yet more again...

December 12, 1996 8:46 PM, jatlh jo'Saq:

> 	<jawwI' vItoy'.>
> 	I serve my lord.  (Is a double "w" allowed? Way around it??)

maj.  qarchu' {jawwI'}.

> 	<jawqoqwIj vItoy'.>
> 	I serve my so-called "lord".

Using {-wIj} is considered derogatory, but for some reason I doubt that
Klingons would use it just to insult someone.  I think it's more of a taboo
than a method of insult.  Besides, if your so-called lord is not worthy of
being referred to with {-wI'}, is he worth insulting?

jawqoqwI' vItoy'.

> 	<batlh ghajbe' jawqoqwIj!>
> 	My so-called "lord" has NO honour!

This is okay with {jawqoqwI'}, but there's a better way to say it.  Instead of
saying "he *has* honor," say "he is not honored."

quvbe'qu' jawqoqwI'!

This also takes care of the emphasis you indicated in your English above.

> .. so instead of crediting him with those years....
>
> 	<tengchaHDaq tlhIngan wo' vItoy'pu'.>
> 	I served the Klingon Empire on a space station.

Do you really need the {-pu'}?  You English sentence give me no reason to
expect it.

tengchaHDaq tlhIngan wo' vItoy'.
I served the Klingon Empire on a space station.

Since Klingon has no tense, it may be translated into any English tense.
Adding *aspect* to this sentence does nothing for it.

> 	I do believe I'm getting the hang of it.  Qapla'!!

majQa'!

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian