tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 13 11:12:13 1996

Re: FW: NEW VIRUS

     This is totally bogus.  It is a very old Internet myth that has been
circulating for years.  Actually, it usually has GOOD TIMES instead of
PENPAL GREETIGS (sic), but the rest is the same.  There is *ABSOLUTELY*
*NO* *POSSIBLE* *WAY* that your computer could be infected with a virus
in this way.  Really people, this joke is so old it has a FAQ.  If you
don't believe me, see it yourself at this URL:

         http://www.urbanlegends.com/misc/good_times_virus_faq.html

| Thaddaeus Vick, Linguist to the Masses |    [email protected]  -or-    |
|                                        |     [email protected]      |
| gules on a saltire argent voided azure |                           |
| thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha. | http://www.crl.com/~dvick |
>  --------------------------(forwarded several times)
> Dear Friends,
>
> Found this on the Over Fifties Bulletin Board tonight -  passing on for your
> info
>
> Regards
> Owen D
>
> Here is the warning.  It came from his company, so it's probably real.
> Mary Lou       m lh
> "if anyone receives mail entitled: PENPAL GREETIGS!  - delete it without
> reading it !!!  This message appears to be a friendly letter asking you
> if you are interested in a penpal, but by the time you read this letter,
> it is too late.  The trojan horse virus will have already infected the
> boot sector of your hard drive , destroying all of the data present.  It
> is a self-replicating virus, and once the message is read, it will
> AUTOMATICALLY forward itself to anyone who's E-mail adress is present in
> YOUR mailbox!  The virus will destroy your hard drive, and holds the
> potential to destroy the hard drive of anyone whose mail is in our inbox,
> and whose mail is in their inbox and so on.  If this virus remains
> unchecked, it has the potential to do damage to computer networks
> worldwide!!!
> Please delete the message entitled "PENPAL GREETINGS!" as soon as you see
> it and pass this message along to all of your friends and relatives and
> the other readers of the news groups and mailiing lists which you are on,
> so that they are not hurt by this dangerous virus."
> Courtesy of GE info systems.

Back to archive top level