tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Dec 12 16:08:21 1996

RE: KLBC: serving a ship

At 14:05 11/12/96 -0800, SuStel wrote:
}December 11, 1996 1:36 AM, jatlh jo'Sqa:
}
}> > If you're talking about
}> > something which specifically states that you had a purpose in serving
}> > that ship, and that service is completed, then feel free to use {-ta'}.
}>
}> 	Would not serving on a ship be considered purposeful??  I am not
}> positive on how the Klingons work this way, but one would suppose that
}> they would consider it an *honour* to work on a ship for the Empire.  So
}> there was a *definite* purpose in serving aboard the QeHjo'.  Hence, my
}> use of <-ta'>.
}
}I believe the intention of completing the action has to be relevant.  If I say
}{juHDaq jIcheghpu'}, it means "I had returned home," but does not mean I had
}accomplished a stated goal.  Obviously, I returned intentionally, but the act
}of returning is not the relevant goal.

jIQochbe' jay'.  Use -lI' or -ta' because it is the directed completion (or
intention to complete) the goal that is important, not simply because such a
goal exists.  jIDoy' Hut romuluSngan vIHoHpu'mo'.  (I was tired because I
had /I am tired because I have /I will be tired because I will have killed
nine Romulans.)  I don't kill that many Romulans by accident, but the goal
of killing the Romulans wasn't the point I wanted to make.  On the other
hand: vInaDlu' Hut romuluSngan vIHoHta'mo'.  (I was/am being/will be
commended because I had killed/have killed/will have killed nine Romulans.)
Same Romulans (I was tired after the first batch: didn't kill nine *more*)
but this time the accomplisment is what I want to emphasize.

Note that -ta'/-pu' can be translated in future tense.  Aspect is not tense.
yIHar 'ej Sov yIlo'. pItlh.
---
Qov               [email protected]            tlhIngan Hol ghojwI'

Back to archive top level