tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 11 10:34:44 1996

Re: story, part 4

>Date: Tue, 10 Dec 1996 15:08:32 -0800
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>December 09, 1996 7:46 PM,jatlh Deborah Kay:
>
>> juHDajDaq chegh vav 'ej puqbe'pu'Daj ja', "la''a' vIpon.  Sovraj chov.
>> wa'leS mon veng maghoS.
>
>{mon veng wIghoS}

Hmm.  Maybe just {mon}?  I don't know that "veng" gains you anything.

>> betleHmeyraj tajmeyraj je tIqem.
>> DaH ramvam Sun yIlIj.
>
>Pick one.  Is it {DaH} or is it {ramvam}?  English sometimes uses "now" as a
>prelude to saying something, and it doesn't have a temporal meaning.  Don't do
>this with Klingon.  (E.g., "Now, in order to kill the Emperor, we must act
>swiftly.")

"toH" seems to have a usage similar to this.

>> retlhwIjDaq peba'.
>> tlhIHvaD qeylIS ta' qelbogh gha'tlhIq vIja'."
>
>Heh . . . I like the fact that you didn't put an {'e'} on either of the nouns
>in the {-bogh} clause.  It could work either way, so why bother making a
>distinction?

Actually, it can only work one way: he can't possibly say Kahless, he must
be saying the gha'tlhIq.  And it's clear enough; no need for a
disambiguating -'e'.

>> jatlhtaHvIS DareS, cholchuq Hoch.
>
>Hmmm . . . {cholchuq} would probably mean "get closer each other," not "get
>closer *to* each other."  Been reading the {jaH} thread?

I don't know that I'd disallow it... but I can see why one of the {jaH}
arguments would.

>that Klingons "capture" opportunities.  At first, I was going to suggest
>{nargh 'eb} "an opportunity appears," but this also means "an opportunity
>escapes," which is exactly what a Klingon says when referring to a missed
>opportunity.

So?  :)  It happens in languages.

>Ooohhh, I can see why you cut the story here!  "Head" is {nach}.  "Permission
>to speak" is (fully) {jIjatlh 'e' yIchaw'}, although you may want to clip it
>to resemble its English version: {jatlh 'e' chaw'}.

It may also be seen as a question: "jIjatlh 'e' Dachaw''a'?"  Clipping
works, though.

~mark

Back to archive top level