tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Dec 07 13:10:11 1996

RE: More Translations...

>December 06, 1996 11:18 AM, jatlh voragh:
>
>> As always, canon is instructive (note that SuH/Su' are pronounced by some
>> Klingons as "SSS..." according to Okrand):
>
>>     HablI' Su' labbeH Ready to transmit. ST3
>
>Oh?  Can you make heads or tails of this sentence?  Perhaps an exclamation
>inserted in the middle of a sentence due to excitement?

Nevertheless, the line exists. I didn't claim to understand Okrand's
reasoning behind his words (assuming Cathie Shirriff delivered them as
written) since I hadn't acquired my "psychic VCR" yet.

While the canon for a word may not always be relevant, it should still
be reviewed--particularly when we're lucky to have anything at all. In
many cases, the crucial example is not widely known or has simply been
forgotten. I cite what material I've collected as a service to those
whose files aren't as complete as mine and to prevent an interesting
discussion from flying off on tangents based not on the documented
Okrandian usage, but on the poster's own personal dialect of Klingon or
English (as seems to happen all too often on this list).

>SuStel
>Beginners' Grammarian

Voragh

Back to archive top level