tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Dec 06 13:51:57 1996

Re: MSN goofiness....

On Fri, 6 Dec 1996 08:43:20 -0800 Joel Peter Anderson
<[email protected]> wrote:

> This came in an ad for MSN yesterday:
>

> "jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe' nuqDaq 'oh (sic) puchpa''e'"
>
> and was translated(?!) "Finally !  I have ful access to the Starfleet
> Archives and their forthcoming plans for the future."
> Is there a way to punctuate that mess to make any sense?

They mashed together two examples from the addendum of TKD. The
first half is Okrand's original, convoluted way of saying, "I'm
lost." The second is his original, "Where is the bathroom?" As
for punctuation, try:

jIHtaHbogh naDev vISovbe'. nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'?

"I do not know the here which I am" = I am lost. {naDev} is a
noun, after all, so this almost works, though the word order
suggests there is something wrong with the first two words.
Perhaps {naDev} should be {naDev'e'}? Perhaps the first two
words should be reversed? It is hard to tell. This is an ugly
one. Okrand came up with a better way to say it in later canon,
though I can't put my hand on it at the moment.

>    joel anderson * [email protected] * [email protected]

charghwI'

Back to archive top level