tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 19:02:29 1996

Star Trek V: {HIv}

December 03, 1996 12:47 PM, jatlh charghwI':

> > There are a couple examples, I think.  The one I remember is from Star
Trek V:
> > {HIvHe yIchoHmoH!} "Alter the attack course!"
>
> I heard that whole line as the single word {yIghoSchoH!} Were we
> watching the same movie? I transcribed this from my own
> videotape and I'm pretty sure this is correct. No {HIv} as noun.
> No {choH} as verb.

No, I don't think we're watching the same movie.  Because he says a lot more
than that.  I have transcribed this myself.  In fact, I've transcribed and
analyzed all of the Klingon in this movie for myself, long before I joined the
KLI.  I've fixed a bit or two since then, but this hasn't changed:

"Kirk"!
Kirk!

DujHomDaq ghaHtaH!
He's on the shuttlecraft!

HIvHe yIchoHmoH!
Alter the attack course!

The verb is absolutely {choH}: Klaa quite clearly makes a {ch} sound.  And
{HivHe} is very clear, too.

> > Of course, this sentence gets
> > into my belief that Okrand was using {HIv} as a noun (it's used again this
way
> > in what I believe is {chorghSaD qelI'qam HIv chuq'e' vInoH} "Estimating
attack
> > range in 8,000 kellicams").
>
> I heard that as:
>
> maHIvmeH chorghSaD qelIqam 'oH chuq vInoH.

No way.  Not a yIH's chance in ghe''or!  The first word Vixis says in this
sentence is clearly, distinctly, and unquestionably {chorghSaD}.  She never
says {maHIvmeH}.  In fact, the only badly pronounced word she utters is
{vInoH}, which comes out more like *{vInuq}.

> Where did you get your transcriptions?

I have a copy of Star Trek V on videotape, and I sat in front of the TV, and
played the Klingon lines over and over again, until I wrote down everything.
Then I went back and worked out which words were pronounced badly (my analysis
sometimes mentions badly pronounced words), and made sure they translated
correctly.  In cases where they didn't, I just made a note that it doesn't
work.

> Is that really what you
> heard, or is that just what you translated for yourself? It is
> important. If you really think you are right, I'll go back and
> find the spot on the tape and transcribe it all over again so I
> can update the online word list, but I won't go to that effort
> based on this one message.

I'd like it if you did do this.  I just went and did this myself, before
responding to your letter.  I know I'm right!  :)

> > Probably.  {qeylIS lIjbe'lu'bogh}.
>
> Ahem! We have canon, sirs!

{{:-P

--