tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 18:29:19 1996

Re: KLBC: More Translations...

>Date: Tue, 3 Dec 1996 18:54:06 -0800
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>
>December 03, 1996 6:00 AM, jatlh De'vuch:
>
>> K:	Su', qaH.
>> E:	Ready, sir.
>
>{Su'} does not mean "be ready," it means that the speak is about to give a
>command, or that the speaker is about to do something.  If you, speaking this
>line, are about to do something, and you wanted to alert your captain, this
>would be fine.  "Get ready, sir!"

No, you can use Su' this way.  Check the dictionary.  Su' and SuH (but not
'eH) can be used to mean that the speaker is ready to do something.

>> K:	qepvam bItalahbe'.
>> E:	You may not record this meeting.
>
>You made a wee spelling boo-boo!
>
>{ta} is a noun, meaning "record."  The *verb* meaning "record" is {qon}.
>
>Finally, this sentence has an object, but you used a "no object" prefix (you
>using that table on TKD p. 33 right?).  The correct prefix is (Da-}
>
>qepvam DaqonlaHbe'.

Somehow, "-laH" to me seems to imply ability, not permission.  I would tend
to use something like "net tuch" or "net chaw'be'" to mean "may not."

>> K:	jI'oy'chugh, qaja'Qo'.  'oy'chaj lubep tlhInganpu'.  lutIv.
>> E:	If I hurt, I won't tell you.  Klingons do not complain about their pain.
>
>> They enjoy it.
>
>maj!  The only problem is that you forgot the {-be'} suffix on {bep}.

And the transitivity question of bep.

>> K:	jIDubtaH 'e' vIQub.  DaQubbe'chugh, vaj qaSuvqang.  qaSuv vIneHbe', 'ach
>> batlhwIj vIHubnIS, 'ej vIHubbej.

>{jIDublaw'taH.  bIQochchugh, qaSuvqang.}
>
>bIDubbej!  not batlhlIj vItIch.  qaSuvchugh, maSuvtaH 'e' wItIv!  qa' wIje'meH
Now, now. Now we know that "Dub" means "to make something better," not "to
get better."  That's that kind of transitivity blurring I believe is rare
if it exists at all in Klingon, as evidenced by vem/vemmoH, etc.

~mark

Back to archive top level