tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Dec 04 09:52:02 1996

Re: greetings

> > No!  Klingon has only one greeting (this is a fact): {nuqneH}.
>
> 	I find this rather hard to believe.  It's like saying
> English-speaking humans only greet each other with "Hello"!  I seriously
> doubt that a shoemaker would see the High Council walking past and
> jauntily shout <nuqneH!>  At the very least, Klingons have honour, and
> treat those who have it with more.  This leads me to believe that there
> *must* be some honourific greetings *somewhere*.

I tend to agree. Specificly a "greeting" may vary depending on the context
of the situation but in every case the "greeting" means the one who
initiates the conversation.

Situation:
<nuqneH> is appropriate when Klingon A comes up to Klingon B and looks
stupid while saying nothing. Thus Klingon B says <nuqneH>.

Situation:
Klingon A has his back turned. Klingon B wishes to talk to
him.  Klingon B say <yIqIm>, <qajatlh (or) SoHvaD jIjatlh>.

Situation:
Klingon A is subodiate to Klingon B. Klingon A initiates the conversation
by saying his busyness with <-neS> on his verbs. or if Klingon B has his
back turned says <yIqImneS>

david
--
 David Barron,  [email protected] ||       Hoch lup yIyInqu'
 Klingon Language Postal Course      ||       qaStaHvIS wa' lup

Back to archive top level