tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Dec 02 19:33:24 1996

Re: KLBC on naming convention

ja' HomDoq:
>"One names me HomDoq" is certainly equivalent to "I am called
>HomDoq" and the latter is better English, no doubt. But "One
>wrecks the shuttle" is NOT equivalent to "The shuttle is wrecked"
>(the latter describing a state of the shuttle, while the former
>refers to the process of bringing the shuttle to that state).

I can certainly understand "The shuttle is wrecked" to refer to
the process of wrecking the shuttle.  It depends on whether you
read "is wrecked" as passive for "wrecks", or if you think that
"wrecked" is an adjective.  The English is ambiguous, but there
can definitely be an equivalence between "it wrecks the shuttle"
and "the shuttle is wrecked" in my view.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level