tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Dec 01 07:35:15 1996

RE: KLBC: Shakespear

On Saturday, November 30, 1996 5:20 PM, David Trimboli[SMTP:[email protected]]
wrote:

> November 28, 1996 10:01 AM, jatlh HurghwI':

> > >ramjep chuSwI' DIQoypu'be''a'?
> >
> > I thought of this, but chimes aren't really noise makers. They are
pleasant,
> > not noisy, so what about {chuSwI'Hom}. Still, if you say "Have we not
heard
> > the small noise-makers at midnight?" they won't know what the heck
you're
> > talking about.
>
> Without a context, no.  As I've stated, I don't know what the context is
> (never read that play).  That's why I also suggested {ghum}.  What's the
point
> of the chimes?  To signal midnight?  I doubt Klingons use pleasant ones.
 If
> they need to mark midnight, something will buzz.

Or, you could get even farther from the original.  What's buzzing?  Some
time-keeping device, no?  /ramjep tlhaq DIQoybe''a'?/  Less poetic, but no
less so than /ghum/.

> SuStel
> Beginners' Grammarian
> Stardate 96916.5