tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 26 11:15:27 1996

Families (was KLBC: sources)

> A "family" does not speak, although it's members do.  Same thing for a
> "council".  Same thing for "High Command".  Same thing for "sources".  {{:)
IMHO:
I realize this is an antropomorphism, but there is other linguistic precedent
for "families" speaking.  It is found in many Terran cultures that have strong
family structure like Klingons do. Frinstance, the head of a Highland Scot clan
may be referred to as "The MacGregor" and Macchiavelli repeatedly refers to the
ruler of Turkey as "the Turk".  Also see King Lear's habit of addressing the
king of France simply as "France".  The principle is that the head or valid
representative of a family or politival unit speaks with the voice *of the
unit*.  Note that this is qualitatively different from speaking *for* the unit.
Flame away. I know I'm asking for it.

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
|  Thaddaeus A. Vick, Linguist to the Masses   | mailto: [email protected]  -or-  |
|                                              |         [email protected]     |
|  gules, on a saltire argent voided azure,    |                              |
|  thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha.      |  http://www.crl.com/~dvick   |