tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 21 21:33:18 1996

Re: An offer you shouldn't refuse!

Kenneth Traft writes:
> ...I like his [Glen Proechel's] extended family member contructions.
> Aunt:  SoS be'nI'  (mother's sister)
>           vav be'nI'    (father's sister)
> Uncle: SoS loDnI'  (mother's brother)
>           vav loDnI'  (father's brother)
> Cousin:  vav loDnI' puq  (uncle's child)
>              vav be'nI' puq  (uncle's child)
>              SoS be'nI' puq (Aunt's child)
>              Sos loDnI' puq (Aunt's child)
> (a couple -  are there other specific one's that are offensive?)

These are all straighforward noun-noun constructions, and as such are
not unreasonable.  However --

In Glen's article "Extending Klingon Kinship Terms" in HolQeD 2:3, he
proposed using the particle {-nI'} as a generic "kinship" suffix.  It
was actually put a bit more strongly than a mere proposal:

  "{puqnI'} is clearly *grandchild*..."

I'm sorry, but it's far from clear to *me* that this is the case.  He
also said that {vavnI''a'} is "the only possible choice" to translate
"great grandfather", and {loDnI''a'} could be "cousin" -- wejpuH.

The entire article is based on the presumption that we can deduce the
word formation rules by analyzing a *very* few examples (four, in this
case), and generalizing to create new vocabulary.  I disagree strongly
with this position.  It's perhaps worse because the "new vocabulary"
proposed is completely unnecessary.

-- Alan Anderson, professional programmer and amateur Klingonist

Back to archive top level