tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 21 13:52:17 1996

Re: {nugIy} Query and Radio Times KLI Mention

> >Firstly...in the list of added vocabulary from the web site, the word
> >{nugIy} - 'a noogie' is mentioned from the qep'a' wejDIch. For the
> >benefit of us non-Americans, what *is* a 'noogie' when it's at home???
>
> The Klingon is "nughI'" (there's no bare g in Klingon anyway).

HIvqa' veqlargh! I should watch what I type when I'm in a hurry...and
serves me right for thinking in English...or else I've been doing too
much Esperanto lately :)

> A "noogie" (this should be in the word-list, probably) involves sharp
> rapping or powerful grinding by the knuckles of the noogie-er on the head
> (usually above the forehead, but near the front of the head) of the
> (unfortunate) noogie-ee.  When done properly, it's exhiliratingly painful.
> My personal guess is that Klingons saw the custom among young Humans and
> knew a fun thing when they saw it (after all, with the ridges it would even
> hurt the noogie-er's knuckles some.  Pain all around, what more could you
> ask?) and borrowed the custom and the word, which eventually became
> accepted.  That's just how *I* picture it.

I'm almost sorry I asked...whilst I can see why a Klingon might
appreciate this (sounds like ideal Klingon mating behaviour!), I do
*not* understand why Terrans would indulge in this other than sheer
sadism...

qSeroHS
--
Niall Hosking
aka Kserokhs Vaene

'Practise random kindness and senseless acts of beauty.'

Back to archive top level