tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 21 08:45:12 1996

Re: Hat tuj

>Date: Tue, 20 Aug 1996 13:02:32 -0700
>From: Robert Darke <[email protected]>

>> = ~mark
>> > = Rob Darke

>> >SuSwI' vIchu' 'ach taH QapHa'ghach.
>> chaq "QapHa'taH"?  bImojbe'.

>HIja' ... 'ach ...

>wa'DIch  : <-taH> = "still" ? <HolQeD 5.2>Daq nav mI' wa'maH vagh vIlaDpu'
>      'ach jIyajHa'(-taH !!).

Bleah... That argument got too convoluted for me.

>cha'DIch : "bImojbe'" ? nuqjatlh ? "You (will) not become" ?

jImuj jIH'e'.  "bImujbe'" vIja' vIneH.  HIvqa' veqlargh.

>> >chaq Hat tuj DaparHa'.
>> >'oH par jIH'e'.
>> "*vI*par jIH'e'"

>wejDIch : (Best drop to DIvI' Hol ...)

>     I get confused when using (or not using) objects, subjects ---
>     instead replacing them with "IT". Although in several places I
>     read that context should dictate, I never know when to use "IT" or
>     not. So, to compound that confusion, I also don't know when to use
>     {'oH} as "IT" or one of the third-person verb prefixes instead ...

OK... It's not a matter of "instead."  If the subject is first person
singular and the object is third person, you *ALWAYS* need the "vI-"
prefix.  It's how the verb is "conjugated" to that situation.  It doesn't
matter if the object (or subject) is explicitly stated with another word,
the verb still has to be in the right form, no matter what.  Whether or not
I say the word "I" in "I am going," I still have to conjugate the verb "to
be" into "am," even though "am" can have no subject other than "I" and the
subject is given it has to be the subject.  If you're saying "I dislike
it," you can say "vIpar" or "'oH vIpar" or "'oH vIpar jIH" and so
on... they *all* mean "I dislike it," with slightly different emphasis.
None means anything else, like "I dislike things in general" or something
(which might be "jIpar").

That help?

>> >chaq soHvaD motlh Hat tuj.
>> >jIHvaD'e' motlh Hat tuj.
>> wa' DIpDaq "-vaD" "-'e'" je DalanlaHbe'.

>loSDIch : (DIvI' Hol too ...)

>     I made a typo .. it should be {motlhbe'} .. however, I digress ..

>     Yeah, I thought about that at the time but how, in this example,
>     would you emphasise the "I" ?? In fact, the "YOU" should really be
>     emphasised too, for my meaning ...

>     Perhaps a hot temperature is usual for *YOU*.
>     A hot temperature is NOT usual for *ME*.

Bummer. :)  I've been in that situation too.  But we're told that it's
only one suffix per type per word.  Best you can do is emphatic tone of
voice, perhaps, or circumlocution, as we do in English ("As for me..."),
maybe something like "jIH'e' vIqellu'DI', jIHvaD motlhbe' Hat tuj."

~mark

Back to archive top level