tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Aug 21 01:34:03 1996

"which?" as adjective

  A.Appleyard wrote:-
>  ({nuq} = "which thing ...?" as a noun, but how to say "which?" as an
> adjective: e.g. "which ship is approaching?")
  "Mark E. Shoulson" <[email protected]> replied:-
> Another one I've been itching for for the longest time. I'm pretty sure
> we've asked this already of Dr. Okrand.

  (0) If <which?> is rendered as an adjective {X}, it would have to be an
adjectival verb like {tIn} etc, "be the one whose identity I am asking about".
If so, do these constructions look logical:-?
  ghoS Duj X?                   which ship is approaching?
  ghoSpu' Duj X?                which ship approached?
  X Duj?                        which ship is this/that?
  Xpu' Duj?                     which ship was this/that?

  (1) It would be useful to put the wishlist on a WWW page, so everybody can
read it and comment on it.

Back to archive top level