tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 20 20:44:50 1996

Message for experienced speakers

Howdy, folks...

Most of you already know me; for those who don't, I am HoD trI'Qal (Captain
T'rkal).  I had the honour of being the first Beginner's Grammarian, when the
position was first offered.  I also helped with the Round Tables for a while,
before I had some access problems, and had to stop.  You have also probably
seen my name a LOT lately... get ued to it.  I like to post. :)  (A search
of the archives will easily confirm this...)

I just wanted to clarify and remind all of you of some of the BG policies.
PLEASE, even if you think you are already familiar with them, PLEASE read
this document! :)

First of all, I would like to make sure that all of you realize that the KLBC is
NOT just for beginners.

What????

That's right... it's not JUST for beginners!  In fact, I will need your help!

Our beginners need examples of  known-to-be-proper tlhIngan Hol.  I usually
provide some with each of my posts back to them, but it's very useful if the
more experienced spekaers sometimes join in the conversations as well.

So, I would like to extend to you the invitation to post under the KLBC
anytime... I just want to remind you of a couple of things:

1.  If you DO post under KLBC, please be sure to follow the list of  things I
noted under the "beginner" letter.  If all the posts follow the same format,
then the beginners will better understand what you are doing, and so can learn
better from your examples.  Please also note that this DOES include keeping
your posts on the simple-side.  Again, this is to benefit our beginning
students;  in order to help them grasp basic structures, they need good
examples... and you, our experienced speakers, are our best source.  So
please, post to our new speakers!

2.  Please remember NOT to post a correction of  Beginner's grammar, even
in Klingon, until AFTER I have had the chance to respond to it.  After that,
anything I miss is fair game. :)  This way, the Begnners are getting
"consistent" feedback.  It's what I am here for, after all.  If you want to
do it, talk to Mark Shoulson about being the next BG...

3.  If you find that your discussion is getting into more of a grammar debate,
PLEASE change the Subject: line,  and take it out of KLBC.  This is not
something you want to forget to do with me. :)  Most people change the
subject line to <new subject> (was:  KLBC <old subject>).

4.  If you post in Klingon under the KLBC header, and you make a grammar
error, I will very likely correct you, instead of ~mark, to provide an
example for the beginners--same as I would anyone else.   I will also, just
like anyone else, point out any "controversial" structures you may have, and
(hopefully LOTS!) of your correct grammar structures, as examples how
Klingon *should* look.

5.  If you fail to keep these things in mind, you will receive a few
reminders/warnings.  If the reminders/warnings don't work... well, just
remember, I am the most feared creature in the Known Galaxy:  a tlhIngan
be'!!! {{;)  {{:)

I think that covers everything...  Hope to see you posting!  (If I didn't
scare y'all away, that is... :) )

--tQ

---
HoD trI'Qal, tlhIngan wo' Duj lIy So' ra'wI'
Captain T'rkal, Commander IKV Hidden Comet
Klingon speaker and net junkie!
HaghtaHbogh tlhIngan yIvoqQo'!  toH... qatlh HaghtaH Qanqor HoD???
monlI'bogh tlhInganbe' yIvoqQo'!  SoHvaD monlI' trI'Qal...

Back to archive top level