tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Aug 12 12:59:44 1996

Re: translation

>Date: Mon, 12 Aug 1996 04:00:53 -0700
>From: "A.Appleyard" <[email protected]>

>  I wrote:-
>>   {DIvI' wIQaw' 'e' batlhmaj} = "That we destroy the Federation, is our
>> honour"; but how to make it clear that the destruction is neither actual nor
>> likely but merely hypothetical or a wish?
>>    Would {DIvI' wIQaw'jaj 'e' batlhmaj} be correct or suitable?
>>   Otherwise, as I said before, it would be useful if Marc revealed an "unreal
>> or hypothetical" verb suffix like the Ancient Greek "an" or "ken".

>  Sorry. the same error again. Read:-
>  {DIvI' wIQaw'(jaj) 'e' 'oH batlhmaj 'e'}

I've already commented on this, but just a point that it has to be
"batlhmaj'e'."  Try to keep it straight which is the pronoun and which the
suffix; they have nothing to do with each other aside from looking alike.

~mark

Back to archive top level