tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Aug 10 08:58:57 1996

Re: RE: betleH

On Mon, 29 Jul 1996 22:30:11 -0700 Chet Braun
<[email protected]> wrote:

> >...In the process of working out a number of sets for the betleH and practicing
> >applications, attacks, blocks, and counter attacks I've come to the conclusion
> >that the betleH is more usefull against weapons *other* than another betleH.
> >Two betleHmey tend to get 'tangled' too easily.  Against a weapon like a
> long Chinese
> >spear the betleH is quite useful.
> >
> >All in all, though, it would not be my weapon of choice.  Sorry but some
> Hollywood
> >artsy fartsy type designed the betleH, not an experienced weapon maker and
> martial artist.
>
> Apparently you need more practice; tho I do admit that not all weapons are
> good for everyone.  There are some weapons that I can't use that others can.
> I think the betleH is good against other betleH and straight sword.
> --------------------
> You bet I do!  In every aspect of my MA I need more practice and I always will.
> Vaj potlhqoq 'oH qatlh. (token attempt to keep this relevant to tlhingon Hol)
> --------------------

In what little use I've made with one, I see it primarily good for very brief battles. If
you wish to parry a lot, use a sword or a spear. If you want a battle decided within three
swings, use a betleH.

Basically, there are two primary attacks (with lots of variations on each). You swing it or
you stab it. If you swing, it is best to strike with one of the ends rather than the center
because you can then use the longer end against the fulcrum of the block. In other words, I
swing overhand, attempting to strike you with the double blades at the top end. If you
allow this to happen, then the battle is over. If you block nearer that end, presenting the
center blade as the block, and I use that pivot to eviserate you with the bottom two
blades. If you let me try that, then the battle is over.

Your only real choice is to avoid my initial attack altogether and counterattack when I am
off balance (and if I let you do that, the battle is over), or to make your block a
horizontal swing so the twin blades of your outside slash eviserate me before I can use the
pivot of the block to eviserate you. If I let you do this, then the battle is over.

All this grunting and blocking and swinging and blocking stuff they show in the series is
very showy, but clearly neither party is really tryinging to harm the other. It seems like
a ritualized dance where sometimes someone is accidentally hurt when they fail to
participate in their assigned role.

Oh, and as for the stabbing attack, I see it as primarily useful when the opponent is
distracted. It is faster than a slash, though extremely vulnerable to a single-move
block/counter attack.

jIpo'be'. ghopDu'wIj neH qamDu'wIj neH joq vIlo'taHvIS *Tai Kwan Do* *Sho Du Kan* je
vIghojta', 'ach nuHmey jej vIlo'taHvIS, vInaj neH.

> To conclude, the ST Encyclopedia states that the betleH was designed by
> martial-arts expert Dan Curry (so they say).
> Exactly..."so *they* say" (my emphesis).  Hollywood <tonshawqoq> is to martial
> arts as Hollywood Klingon language is to <tlhingan Hol>.

bIDelchu'ta'.

> Qapla'
>
> HetaQ

charghwI'