tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Aug 06 14:18:34 1996

Re: Well. Formerly Re: KLBC: jIlIH'egh [Introduction]

qaSDI' 96-08-06 06:35:52 EDT, jatlh marqoS:

> In English, the two
>  members of a homophone pair are always spelled differently.  If they're
>  spelled the same (such as the various meanings of "spine" that started
this
>  thread), then it's not considered a case of homophony; it's considered
>  to be multiple meanings for a single word.  In Klingon, of course, the
> spelling
>  is completely phonetic, so that distinction is lost.

Not always.  We have a canon, and oft-cited, example: {toDuj} and {toDDuj}.
 Now, technically (according to TKD), both {D}'s of {toDDuj} would be
pronounced, but in many examples of spoken Klingon, including this one in
Star Trek V, the sounds are run together.  Admittedly, {toDuj} is a word
which was *designed* to be a homophone, but so what?

SuStel
Stardate 96599.1

Back to archive top level