tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 02 18:50:21 1996

Re: Well. Formerly Re: KLBC: jIlIH'egh [Introduction]

At 04:35 PM 8/2/96 -0700, someone posing as you wrote:

>What's the Klingon word "doornail"? What is a doornail,
>anyway? I know it is dead. Very dead. But if I saw one, I
>would probably not recognize it as an object with that name.

lojmIt_pIp (<door-spine>.  <nail> vItu'laHbe') -Daq  DIng pagh SIH lojmIt.

"yavDaq bIQHal "?  <Pit> pagh <hole> jIlo' vIneH

Ya know, it woulda been nice to have an pretty much unabridged word listing
for a well-established language, weed out synonyms in favor of the more
common words, then, based on how common a word is, sort of 'Huffman-encode'
the old language using a new language's phonology, meaning more commonly
used words get shorter names in the new language.

           Eric Koske, Register Data Systems, Register Communications

            WPGA AM 980, FM 100.9, and TV Channel 58  Macon, Georgia
    Computer Tech, Tech Support, Archbishop of Phones, Fledgling Programmer
              1619 Forsyth St., Macon, GA  31210     (912)745-5858
                      http://www.hom.net/~regcomm/wpgatv/

Back to archive top level