tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Aug 02 17:41:52 1996

Re: An offer you shouldn't refuse!

qaSDI' 96-08-02 19:14:10 EDT, jatlh Kenneth Traft:

> >On Wed, 31 Jul 1996 [email protected] wrote:
>
>  >tlhIngan Hol "Bible" 'ay'Daq mughlu'bogh, Dochvam vIlegh.  "John 3:16"Daq

>  >"believe in him" tu'lu', 'ej {*ghaHDaq Har} ghItlhlu'pu'.

Dochvam vIghItlhbe'bejqu'!  not DIvI' Hol, tlhIngan Hol joq *Bible* vIlaDta'.
 "ghaHDaq Har"mo' jIjatlh, 'ach *Bible* vIqelbe'!

>  Glen's reason for using <-Daq> comes from the reference in Conversation
>  Klingon when they referenced to Kahless's spirit within you (I don't have
> the
>  exact quote sorry), The phrase "within you" was translated <SoHDaq>.  Glen

>  does not think they were refering to a physical space in this instance.

I think this usage of {-Daq} only makes sense because one will see the idiom
in it.  You say the phrase "believe in" is used in all Indo-European
languages.  Well then, what about, say, Japanese?  Suppose someone who spoke
Japanese learned Klingon.  Unless "believe in" is a universal human
linguistic construct, he is not going to understand {ghaHDaq Har}, without
first referencing an Indo-European language.   Unless you can explain what
other sense {-Daq} is taking in {ghaHDaq Har}, and can convince me that it is
really usable, I will continue to see it as "He believes at his
location/inside him," which is nonsensical.

>  >On Wed, 31 Jul 1996 [email protected] wrote:
>  >tlhIngan Hol "Bible" 'ay'Daq mughlu'bogh, Dochvam vIlegh.

cha'logh bIquvHa''eghmoH!  mu'tlheghvam vIghItlhbe'qu'!

>  >>Mark Shoulson replied:
>  >>You may have to say "<Bible> 'ay' mughta'lu', 'ej 'ay'vamDaq..."
>  Glen believes that [email protected]'s translation is correct, but
suggested
>  using <'e'> instead of <Dochvam>.  Also that Mark made a typo on
<mughlu'ta'>
>  (<ta'> is a type 7 suffix and <lu'> is a type 5).

mu'tlheghvam vIghItlhchugh, "Dochvam vIlegh" vIghItlhbe'bej.  'ej ram
mu'meyvam.

SuStel
Stardate 96588.7

Back to archive top level