tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 19 22:32:11 1996

re: Instant Coffee (several)

David Wood writes:
>Careful... I think you wanted that to sound more like:
>HuD SuD qa'vIn QaQ law' Hoch qa'vIn QaQ puS.

{Hoch qa'vIn} sure looks like it ought to mean "everyone's coffee."
We need some real explanations about how to use {Hoch} correctly.

>> Either way, I don't drink coffee.
>
>toDSaH! jupma' qa'vin! pIn'a'ma' qa'vIn! jawma' qa'vIn! jawma' yItIchbe'! >:)

You need to cut down on your caffeine intake, that's for sure!  You've
consistenly left out a required verb -- TKD section 6.3 says that when
you want to say "A is B" you must use a pronoun as if it were a verb.
It comes out {B 'oH A'e'} if A is a "thing", or {B ghaH A'e'} if A is
a "person".  Since you put the "language-using" suffix {-ma'} on the
noun, you should say {jupma' ghaH qa'vIn'e'} etc.

Also, TKD 4.3 says {-be'} cannot be used with an imperative verb.  The
suffix {-Qo'} is used instead.

>bIQ vuv tlhIngan qaSmoHlaH wa'vIn'a'wIj.
>
>Let's see how THAT works...

Pretty close, but you need to use {'e'} as the subject of {qaSmoHlaH}.
{bIQ vuv tlhIngan 'e' qaSmoHlaH qa'vIn'a'wIj} [and you misspelled the
word {qa'vIn}, but that's minor].

Apparently coffee in general talks to you, but *your* coffee doesn't? :-)