tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 16 05:36:07 1996

New Method for Superlative?

On page 101 Okrand writes <'etlh QorghHa'lu'chugh ragh 'etlh nIvqu'
'ej jejHa'choH>, which he translates as "Even the best blade will
rust and grow dull unless it is cared for."

And on page 121 he writes <bortaS nIvqu' bortaS'e'>, which he
translates as "Revenge is the best revenge".

In both cases, the verb <nIv> with the emphatic suffix <qu'> appears
to serve the adjectival function of the english word "best".

Do we have a new mechanism for expressing superlatives?

'etlhqengwI'

Garrett Michael Hayes
Client/Server Labs; 8601 Dunwoody Place, Suite 332,  Atlanta, GA 30350
[email protected],  http://www.cslinc.com; 770-552-3645 voice, 770-993-4667 fax
(Opinions expressed are my own and may not be those of Client/Server Labs, LLC)

Back to archive top level