tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Apr 15 11:47:42 1996

Re: chIyaghu

>Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 20:37:09 -0700
>From: Jeremy Cowan <[email protected]>

>On Sun, 14 Apr 1996 [email protected] wrote:
>> I was pondering the possibilities for a klingon name
>> My name is Thiago.
>> Anyway here are a few ideas:
>> chIaghu
>> chI'aghu'
>> chI'aghu

>My suggestion is (as in the subject line) chIyaghu.  I have made a couple
>of assumptions in recommending this.  First is that the "i" in your name
>is pronounced as would be the English "ee".

Whichever you choose, don't choose "*chIaghu".  The vowel-hiatus in midword
(between I and a) is unattested in Klingon, and indeed is almost certainly
forbidden (Okrand says that an epenthetic ' is "suspected" of being
inserted to prevent it in the case of -oy added to nouns ending in vowels).

~mark

Back to archive top level