tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 12 11:29:06 1996

Mature Adults

In Chinese Mandarin the word {ch'eng2} more literally means "becomes."  Yet
{ch'eng2ren2} means a mature adult.  So, to me, it is quite logical that the
Kilngon word {nen}, which by extraction from {nenghep} and {nentay} means
"ascension," really is an SV translatable as "mature," "adult."

Even my name is the combination of two such extractions.  {peH} comes from
{peHghep}, "Age of Inclusion," and {ruS} comes from {ruStay},  "Bonding
Ritual," producing "Included (in Klingon culture) by Bonding."  So far I have
abstained from using either extracted syllable as a ' word ' because of KLI
admonitions agains extracting parts of words.

Personally, I would like to see tlhIngan Hol continue to develop.  If each of
us KLI persons were to choose one-ten brand new words rather than wait for MO
to answer the wish list, however, we would no longer be studying the Okrand
language, but would be creating our own.  We have all agreed--at least
tacitly--not do this.

Perhaps, though, someday we will see that {noch} can be used as a Verb and
{poch} can be used as a Noun.  Until MO uses them--or any other tlhIngan Hol
mu'mey--I won't either.

In conclusion, I am overjoyed every time MO produces any new word or
(correct????) usage.  batlh {'uch} {nen} je DIlo'jaj

peHruS

Back to archive top level