tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 11 12:01:39 1996

KLBC & vocabulary

 uu> From: ur-valhalla!goodguy.goodnet.com!faber (Faber)

 uu> skimming through TKD and I came across Earth as *tera'* and the word
 uu> for terran is *tera'ngan*, also the word for Romulus is *romuluS* and
 uu> Romulan is *romuluSngan*.  Wouldn't this make the word for Klingon
 uu> *tlhingan* and the word for Qo'nos *tlhi*.  Just a thought.

Sorry, doesn't work that way.  Consider that the proper name for the Earth is
"the Earth" and the proper name for Terrans is "Homo Sapiens".  Similarly, the
proper name for the Homeworld is {Qo'noS} and the proper name for the Klingon
species is {tlhIngan}.  It just *is*.

If anything, we could probably refer to a resident of {Qo'noS} as {Qo'noSngan}
- and in fact, if I were making the distinction between one Klingon born on
the Homeworld and one born on Khitomer, I would refer to {wa' Qo'noSngan wa'
QI'tomerngan je}.

| Lieutenant Commander Qob vestai-qutvaj                     |          |
| Commanding Officer, Imperial Klingon Vessel Crystal Dagger |  NOR     |
| Quadrant Adjutant, Northern Quadrant, Dark Moon Fleet, KAG |  QUAD    |
| Member of the Klingon Language Institute Since 1993        |  ROCKS   |
| Moderator: Fidonet KAG Echo     Bill Willmerdinger @ 1:2613/477.1701  |
|                                 [email protected]   |