tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 24 19:18:55 1995

Re: je je je

According to [email protected]:

> I've seen several messages using <je> after each item in a list.
> eg <A  B  je  C  je  D  je>.   This seems to contradict TKD 5.3 which states
> "The conjunctions joining nouns come after the final noun." This would make
> the list <A  B  C  D  je>.  Did I miss some canonical point in an earlier
> message, or an early HolQeD?
>
> Brad

Okrand didn't address more than two nouns connected by
conjunctions in any of the examples, and we have apparently
missed the specifics of this wording. There are many details in
Okrand's little book and it is always refreshing to have
someone come along and describe one of them such that it is as
simple as this to understand.

I have personally tended to use {je} after the second noun and
after every subsequent noun simply because it clarified the
difference between nouns joined by conjunctions and noun-noun
possessive constructions mixed into a string of nouns joined
with a conjunction. By your probably correct interpretation, I
should say:

trI'Qal pu'HIch betleH je vIneH.

So, do I want trI'Qal's phaser and sword, or do I want trI'Qal
as well?

charghwI'
--

 \___