tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 31 16:08:55 1995

Re: Navigation

On Fri, 31 Mar 1995, Riku Anttila wrote:

I'm curious, ghor, you live in Finland right?  Have they translated the
movies and TV episodes into Finnish, or do you watch them in the
original English or some other language?  I was wondering if they
voiced-over the Klingon lines or if they retained the original dialogue.

> Is there canon on how the captain should order his navigator to set
> course and warp factor? Movies? I've seen them only upto ST3 and
> Qugh never engaged his warpdrive.

In ST3, Kruge gives an order to set a new course to the Federation
Neutral Zone.  In clipped Klingon, he says: He chu' ghoS.  DIvI' neHmaH.

In Generations, Lursa gives a command to set course to the Veridian
system.  Although her words were clearly pronounced, I don't think she
spoke in orthodox tlhIngan Hol.  (Perhaps the Duras family speaks
a different dialect than the current Imperial dialect in open defiance to
convention.)

> What does he say, by the way, in the beginning after the cloacking device
> has been disabled and the blue light on the bridge changes to red? There
> is a nasty sound on the background, I hear only what sounds like -Ha'.

It sounds to me like {...chu'Ha'}.  It is probably a retake of his line
from the previous scene:  {So'wI' yIchu'Ha'.}

Here is what I heard in that scene from ST3.  If someone heard something
differently, let me know.  Kruge spoke rather clearly, but I had some
trouble understanding some of Valkris' lines.   I have written the English
subtitles from the movie in parentheses.

Valkris:  Commander Kruge, this is Valkris.
	  qa'vam De' vIje' rIntaH.  HablI' Su', labbeH.
  	  (I have purchased the Genesis Data.  Ready to transmit.)

Kruge:	Well done, Valkris, well done.
	So'wI' yIchu'Ha'.
	(Disengage cloaking device.)

	De' yIlI'...DaH!
	(Transmit data.  Now!)

Valkris:  jabbI'ID pItlh.  Qu'vaD lI' 'e' tu'bej.
	  (Transmission completed.  You will find it useful.)

Kruge:	vaj, Daleghpu'...
	(Then you have seen it?)

Valkris:  HISlaH jawwI'.
	  (I have, my lord.)

Kruge:	Do'Ha'.
	(Unfortunate.)

Valkris:  jIyaj.
	  (Understood.)

Kruge:  chuyDaH!
	(Thrusters.)

Freighter Captain:  What the Hell's going on?  When will I get paid off?

Valkris:  Soon Captain, quite soon.

	Qapla' jawwI' bangwI' je.
	(Success my lord, and my love.)

Kruge:	batlh Daqawlu'taH.
	(You will be remembered with honor.)

	baH!
	(Fire!)

	He chu' ghoS.  DIvI' neHmaH.
	(New course.  Federation Neutral Zone.)

	yIje'!
	(Feed him!)

Crewman:  lu' joHwI'.
	  (Yes, my lord.)

I found it somewhat interesting that Vakris addressed Kruge as {jawwI'}
but the Gunner addressed him as {joHwI'}.

>  .:ghor:.

yoDtargh

Back to archive top level