tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Mar 31 07:41:54 1995

Re: A new Klingon word?

 > > crew of the "Essex"), take over 3 of the crew, and about 28 minutes after the
 > > episode started Worf says "We Klingons also know of this: we call it [what
 > > sounded like] {chatning}, `the takeover of the living by the dead'.". It could
 > > possibly have been {cha'ning}. What is the correct form of this word? Can it
 > > be treated as canonical?
 >
 > The word is Jat'yIn.  I'm usually hesitant to accept every Klingon word

What is the source of the spelling?  Actually if you change it to
"jatyIn" you get a compound word, C: jatyIn: tongue | life, which
actually could make some sense, if you think of "possession" by a
ghost as giving "life" to a "tongue" once stilled by death.

But I have to disagree with your comments regarding canon.

While I agree that filmed Trek differs widely (often wildly) with what
we know from the TKD et al, you are not free to discount it as canon.
Okrand has left open the notion of dialects, probably for this very
reason.

The correct rule, the 'orthodox' Trek canon, is that only what is
filmed is ever official, with various degrees assigned to any of the
ancillary material.  This is why all of the official references, (Tech
Manuals, Chronology, Encyclopedia) are solely based on what is filmed.
I've discussed this online with Okuda (author of the TNG ref manual
and other refs, and production crew on TNG,DS9 and Voyager), and John
Ordover (Pocket Book Trek Novel editor) and like it or not, it is the
official rule.  [BTW, coming down the pike is an official "Ferengi
Rules of Acquisition" book].

	yIrojqu'!
		Joel.
     [email protected] | Apertus Technologies | GEnie:j.anderson71
       *mIghtaHghachvo' yImej 'ej yIQaQ! roj yInej 'ej  yItlha'*
                **** http://www.apertus.com/~joela  ****

Back to archive top level