tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 28 06:20:49 1995

Re: audio mail

On Tue, 28 Mar 1995 08:31:04 -0500
"Mark J. Reed" <[email protected]> "marqoS" wrote:

>"Mark E. Shoulson" <[email protected]> writes:
>\ Hmm.  The sound-bites on the web site are in SUN .au format, since that's
>\ far and away the most common format I saw on the web.  There's a program in
>\ ftp://ftp.kli.org/pub/Software/ called WHAM that plays .au files on PC's.
>\ Maybe that could be used?
>\
>\ ~mark
>
>Sun .au format is exactly the format I described earlier - 8kHz, 8-bit
>samples, mu-law encoded.  Suns were among the first UNIX workstations to
>provide any audio capability, so .au files quickly sprung up all over the
>place,
>and when the MIME developers needed to specify a minimal audio format, that's
>what they used.
>
>NeXT workstations will handle .au files automatically, as will, I believe,
>HP-UX workstations.  And as ~mark states, WHAM will play them on a PC.  The SOX
>utility will convert among virtually every audio format known to man; maybe it
>would be a good idea to put a link to it up on the KLI site as well, for any
>folks not covered by the above (Mac users spring to mind).
>
>-marqoS

No problem for us Mac users (me anyway ;-) ). There are three good
freware/shareware programms available to the Mac'ers to convert either .wav
or .au formatted files.

In alphabetical order (no preferance or warrenty implied):

1 - Brians Sound Tool - .WAV, .VOC, .AU, mu-law (8 bit mono), Amiga 8SVX,
AIFF, FSSD, .BIN and converts System 7 SNDs to System 6.

2 - Sound Builder - SND, AIFF, AIFC, WAV, VOC

3 - Sound Machine - mu-law player.

#'s 1 and 2 will save in 5, 7, 11, 22, or 44 kHz. I haven't used #3 is
soooo long....

These are available on any BBS.

      vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay'
                                          - DumaS
vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Steve Weaver       [email protected]

Back to archive top level