tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Mar 12 21:04:43 1995

Re: law' / puS , of course.

> >  Question for you grammar wonks:
> >
> > When making a comparative in tlhIngan Hol  must the Q in the
> > <A Q law'   B Q puS>  construction be a stative verb.
> >
> >          David Barron  [email protected]  OR   [email protected]
>
> I'm not a grammarian, but even so, I think I'll take a stab at this one.
> The answer is "NO."
>
> In TKD 6.6 Okrand tells us "Any verb expressing a quality or condition
> may fit into the Q slot."
>
> Now, this does not explicitly rule out non-stative verbs, but after the
> stative ones, what other verbs are left? ;)
>
> Lawrence
>
> --

Ok, I ask this 'cause I am trying to expand my understanding of law'/puS.
For example how would you translate "The targ eats less than a man."?

--
David Barron                                       ||   lup Hoch yIyInqu'
Klingon Language Postal Course                     ||   qaStaHvIS wa' lup

Back to archive top level