tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 08 05:35:23 1995

My 2 kopecs worth (was: Re: E Pluribus Unum)

Alan Anderson (ghunchu'wI') wrote:
>ghojwI' wrote:
>>Peoples might have been a better word...  I meant the society, not just
>>the government.
>
>If you meant "society", then that's what you should have said in the first
>place. :-)
>The original "Out of many, one" is really a mess; not only does it lack a
>verb, but it has very little in the way of a subject.  I think "society"
>fits /very/ well as the intended subject, certainly better than "government."

>I offer this:
>{nughmeyvo' Sar chen'eghmoH wa' nugh'a'}
>"From various societies, one great society forms."
>
>{Sar} instead of {law'} has more of the "melting pot" flavor we used to be so
>>proud of.

While I don't disagree with you on your translation (I don't know enough to),
I do disagree with your interpretation of "Out of many, one". I cannot speak
for what the original intent was for the selection, but to me the 3 words "E
pluribus unum", speak volumes. Think of it, "From a plurality there comes a
singularity". It has nothing to do with societies, governments, peoples, etc.
as entities, but rather as a unification process of dissimilar "many" evolving
into a homogeneous "one" (one mind, one thought, one goal, etc.).

To repeat myself from a previous post:
:: chargwI' had the closest (IMHO) with: wa' qum mojchoH qum law'.

:: Could I drop "qum" and keep "wa' mojchoH law'" ????
:: or do I need to replace "qum" with "qech", "Hol", "chut", etc., depending
:: on the topic??

:: I don't want to limit the phrase as one thing. I want it to be a
:: "catch all" phrase that when uttered can mean "the many ideas become one
:: thought", "the many individuals become one clan", etc., without reguard
:: to some noun.

Just call me the wanna-be Klingon philosopher *SaqrI'DIych* (Socrates) }};-)
(That's IF I'm understanding the phonetics correctly...... )

      vay' yIHub Hoch 'ej Hoch tIHub vay'
                                          - DumaS
vIta'pu'be' !!!   tlhIngan ghaH *Bart Simpson*'e'
Steve Weaver       [email protected]

Back to archive top level