tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jun 27 09:29:42 1995

Re: That's my name don't use it up

(Boy am I getting sick of seeing this Subject line I made up.  Somebody
remind me to only use short subjects from now on, okay? {{:-)   >)

On Tue, 27 Jun 1995 William Martin wrote:

>According to Elizabeth C. Hoyt:
>>
>> Could someone explain the terms you're using to describe the rolled `r'?
>> I've always had trouble with that sound, the only time I get close is
>> when I sort of growl in the back of my throat and try to say `er' at the
>> same time.
>
>That's the wrong end of the tongue. Think less of a French "r"
>(which is more like the tlhIngan {gh}) than an Italian one
>(which is more like I'm getting the sense that the Klingon {r}
>is supposed to be). Think "Roberto".
>
>It is also the kind of sound one might make while immitating a
>cat's purr. It is also the kind of sound a kid makes when
>immitating a car engine (minus the vocalization). It is also,
>like curling the tongue or whistling, one of those sounds that
>some make easily while others can't do at all.
>
>> Qapla'
>> tlheghmeQ
>>
>> Peace and Long Life, [email protected]
>> Liz
>
>charghwI'

A good example of what this different tounge placement sounds like, is the
different Catwomen on the TV Batman.  Julie Newmar's purrs & r's are done
in the front of the mouth.  While Eartha Kitt's are in the back, very
throaty.

Now that I think about it, I do the attraction growls from the back of my
throat & my name from the front.  Hey, they both sound good so I don't
worry too much.  I'm not picky about how many trills are given when you say
my name, just as long as it's close.

r'Hul

Back to archive top level